Tahini Nectarine Apple Crisp
Warm. Fruity. Nutty. A Tahini-twist on a classic fall recipe!
Tahini Nectarine Apple Crisp is one of those desserts that is so easy to make and fills your home with the most beautiful, warm, spice-filled and fruity aroma!
Spotting nectarines at my local fruit market is always a signal that the end of the summer fruit harvest is near and the beginning of the fall baking season is here! This recipe combines the best of both seasons with an extra special touch of tahini!
The Flavours of Fall
Nectarines, Apples, and Tahini are a beautiful flavour combination and are *in my opinion* – far too often overlooked in desserts. They create a complementary flavour explosion in your mouth and bring the most divine spice-filled smell to your home!
What is tahini made of?
I know Tahini may not be the most common ingredient in everyone’s pantry but it is sure worth a try if you haven’t already! Tahini is a sesame seed butter than is commonly used in Mediterranean and middle eastern cuisines.
What does Tahini taste like?
It is nutty, creamy, and provides an extra richness to sweet and savoury cooking alike!
Can I substitute the Nectarines for Peaches?
Of course! Peaches would also work great in this recipe or you can use only apples if you prefer, but I recommend Nectarines!
Let’s make some Tahini Nectarine Apple Crisp!
Start by preheating your oven to 350F. Butter an 8×8” baking pan. Set this pan aside for now.
Prepare your fruits – Peel and roughly chop your apples and nectarines.
Add the fruit to a large bowl and combine with 2 tablespoons of apricot jam, cinnamon, and sugar (I like to use coconut sugar here but 1-2 tablespoons of any brown sugar will also work perfectly).
Transfer chopped fruit mixture to your prepared baking pan.
In a separate large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, salt and flour. Add cubed butter and combine butter with the mixture using either a pastry cutter or your hands.
Once a mixture that resembles sand is formed, add the tahini paste. Use a spoon, pastry cutter, or your hands to evenly distribute and create a crumb textured mixture.
Evenly distribute crumble mixture over the fruits.
Bake at 350F for ~45 minutes or until bubbly and the crumble top is golden brown.
Grab your vanilla ice cream and get ready to indulge!
Tahini Nectarine Apple Crisp
- large bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Pastry Cutter
- 8×8 Baking Pan
Nectarine Apple Medley
- 6 Nectarines pitted, sliced
- 4-5 Apples peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 tbsp Apricot Jam
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 c Light Brown Sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 c Rolled Oats large
- 3/4 c All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c Unsalted Butter cold
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 8"x8" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your apples and nectarines with coconut sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir to incorporate.
- Transfer chopped fruit mixture to the prepared baking pan.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, salt, and flour. Add cubed butter and combine with the mixture using either a pastry cutter or your hands.
- Once a mixture that resembles sand is formed. Add the tahini paste and use a spoon or your hands to evenly distribute paste. The mixture will now form a crumb texture.
- Evenly distribute crumble over the fruits.
- Bake at 350F for ~45 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and the crumble is golden brown.
- Prefer peaches to nectarines? No problem! This recipe is also delicious when made with peaches instead of nectarines!
- Big fan of Tahini?! For increased Tahini flavour – you can use 3 tbsp instead of 2 in your crumble!
- All purpose flour can easily be substituted with whole wheat flour for an even hardier harvest crunch!
- If looking to make this recipe vegan, the butter can be replaced 1:1 with coconut oil or additional Tahini
- If looking to add a hint of coconut to this recipe – I love to swap out the light brown sugar with coconut sugar and butter with coconut oil! Give it a try 🙂
- Play around with the added sugar amounts to suit your desired level of sweetness!