Easy Sprinkle Macaroons
Chewy and soft in the centre, perfectly crisp and golden on the outside. These Easy Sprinkle Macaroons are a wonderful spin off of a traditional macaroon that feels special every time! Every day is a good day for some sprinkle macaroons.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Shredded coconut – A combination of sweetened + unsweetened provides a gentler sweetness!
- Eggs – Egg whites should be carefully separated without any yolk residue
- Sprinkles – of your choice!
- Chocolate – I use 70% dark chocolate for dipping however, any semi-sweet chocolate works well too!
Let’s make some Sprinkle Macaroons!
Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine 2 packages of shredded coconut (sweetened and unsweetened). Remove 1 cup of shredded coconut and set aside.
Combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and coconut (minus the 1 cup that was removed earlier) until the condensed milk coats all of the coconut.
In another bowl, combine egg whites and salt. Whisk until frothy. Add 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Continue whisking until soft, fairly stiff peaks.
Gently fold whipped egg whites into coconut mixture until just combined.
Mix the reserved cup of shredded coconut with 1/3c sprinkles.
Gently fold the dry sprinkle/coconut mixture into the wet egg white/condensed milk/coconut mixture. (I do this step in 2 additions).
Scoop macaroon batter and bake on cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
Bake for 14-18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Dip the macaroons in chocolate and then in a final bowl of sprinkles, and return to cookie sheet. Let solidify in the fridge for 30 minutes – 1 hour!
For detailed recipe with measurements, see full recipe below!
- electric mixer
- cookie scoop/spoons
- 300 ml Sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 14 oz bags Shredded coconut Unsweetened + Sweetened
- 3 Egg whites large
- 1 tbsp Sugar Granulated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cups Sprinkles Rainbow
- 1/2 cups Sprinkles Rainbow
- 4 oz Chocolate Semi-sweet or 70% cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In large bowl, add both packages of shredded coconut. From bowl, remove 1 cup of shredded coconut and set aside.
- Combine condensed milk, vanilla, and coconut (minus the 1 cup that was removed earlier) until the condensed milk coats all of the coconut.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites and salt. Whisk until frothy. Add 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whipped egg whites into coconut mixture until just combined. Set aside.
- Combine the reserved cup of shredded coconut with 1/3c sprinkles.
- Gently fold the dry sprinkle/coconut mixture into the wet egg white/condensed milk/coconut mixture.
- Using an ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons, create 2 inch rounds and place on baking sheet. Cook for 14-18 minutes or until tops are slightly golden.
- Allow macaroons to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate in microwave in 15-30s periods. Stir after each microwave period.
- Once chocolate is melted and shiny, dip bottoms of macaroons into chocolate and then into a shallow bowl of sprinkles.
- Return macaroons onto parchment, dipped side down. Place dipped macaroons into fridge to set completely (15-30 minutes).
- Gently folding (simply moving the mixture contents from the bottom to the top one part at a time) is key to have these macaroon mixture not lose their volume.
- Make sure not to over mix the macaroon mixture after adding the sprinkles! A few folds to incorporate are enough and will prevent your sprinkles from seeping colour into the mixture
- Press the macaroons tightly into the cookie scoop or spoons to maintain the macaroons shape during baking
- Although sprinkles are a fun addition to this recipe – the recipe can also be made without them without any need for substitution
- This recipe also freezes really well! Simply lay them flat into a freezer bag after the macaroons have cooled. To thaw, transfer them to the fridge or counter for 30 minutes or more.